Personally, I love salty-sweet food and anything with cheese is a winner in my book. I originally got this recipe out of a magazine and promptly adapted it to fit my particular tastes (namely, no olives or parsley). The original comes from Nigella Lawson, which you can see here. Following is my version.
Red onion – I usually end up using about half an onion
Limes – I usually end up using 2, but feel free to use more for a stronger lime taste
Watermelon – About half a watermelon, or one of the personal sizes is plenty
Feta cheese – I use a whole package of it, but more or less depending on your taste
Mint – Eyeball how much to add
Olive Oil – A few tablespoons or so
1. Halve and slice the red onion. Squeeze the lime juice over the onions in a small bowl and put in the refrigerator to marinate while you make the rest of the salad. The lime will help soften the flavor of the onions and the juice will turn pink.
2. Chop the watermelon; I like doing it in bite size pieces. Add to a big bowl.
3. Add about ¾ of the feta and mint. I like to set some aside to make it pretty at the end.
4. Pour in the olive oil, black pepper, onions (reserve a few for garnishing), and lime juice. Toss the salad until it’s well combined.
5. Arrange the remaining onions on top and sprinkle with the rest of the feta and mint.
Refrigerate for at least an hour and until ready to serve. The salad will get soupy, so it’s best to eat it as soon as possible.